It's right for you if...
You ride more than one type of trail, so you're searching for a versatile trail bike platform that will give you the best bones for a ride that's quick and capable on a variety of terrain.
The tech you get
A lightweight Alpha Platinum Aluminum frame with 130mm of travel and Mino Link adjustable geometry, a FOX shock with Trek's exclusive RE:aktiv damper, and an included Bontrager Line stem and Knock Block headset that prevents damage to the frame from spinning handlebars and fork crown. Built for PF92 bottom bracket, 29˝ or 27.5+ wheels, and a 130mm or 140mm fork.
The final word
Fuel EX AL is burly enough for big features but agile enough for fast group rides and even cross country racing. It's a great all-around frameset for the mountain biker who doesn't want to do just one kind of riding, but wants to explore all kinds of terrain on a single full suspension trail bike.
favorite_borderWhy you'll love it
- RE:aktiv is firm when you're pedaling and plush over bumps
- It doesn't box itself into a category: Fuel EX brings trail bike plushness with an XC race bike feel for our most versatile mountain bike whip
- It's great for riders who don't want to do just one kind of mountain biking, but want to explore everything from XC marathons to epic descents
- Internal cable routing and Control Freak Cable Management make it easy to spec with quality trail bike tech, like a dropper post
You might also like
Alpha Platinum Aluminum
Our premium lightweight aluminum is continuously cold extruded and butted at multiple points, and hydroformed into sophisticated tube shapes for maximum strength and minimum weight.
Control Freak Cable Management
The lightest, quietest, most versatile cable management system allows any combination of shift, brake, lockout, and dropper post lines to be routed through the frame for clean looks and the ultimate custom setup.
Wider dropouts (110mm front, 148mm rear) give you the stiffness of a 27.5" wheel with all the benefits of a 29" wheel, and Boost148 in the rear lets you run wider tires and a larger chainring without affecting q-factor and pedaling efficiency.
Advanced frame geometry and a custom offset fork give our 29ers precise handling at low speed without compromising high-speed stability. We call it G2 Geometry, and it's why our 29ers handle better than anyone's.
- Alpha Platinum Aluminum, ABP, Boost148, Knock Block steerer stop, Full Floater, EVO link, tapered head tube, Mino Link, Control Freak internal routing, down tube guard, PF92, ISCG 05, G2 Geometry, 130mm travel
- Rear suspension
- Fox Performance Float EVOL, RE:aktiv 3-position damper, tuned by Trek Suspension Lab, 210x52.5mm
- Bontrager Rhythm Comp, Knock Block, 31.8mm, 0 degree, 60mm length
- Knock Block Integrated, sealed cartridge bearing, 1-1/8˝ top, 1.5˝ bottom
- M - 3.22 kg / 7.1 lbs (with tubes)
- Weight limit
- This bike has a maximum total weight limit (combined weight of bicycle, rider, and cargo) of 300 pounds (136 kg).
Sizing & fit
The charts below show our recommended sizes based on height, but there are some other factors, like arm and leg length, that determine a great fit. That’s why you’ll see some overlap in our recommendations. Not every rider who’s 5´8˝, for example, will fit on the same size bike. The best way to find your perfect fit is to consult the experts at your local Trek retailer.
153.0 - 162.0 cm
5'0.2" - 5'3.8"
72.0 - 76.0 cm
28.3" - 29.9"
161.0 - 172.0 cm
5'3.4" - 5'7.7"
76.0 - 81.0 cm
29.9" - 31.9"
170.0 - 179.0 cm
5'6.9" - 5'10.5"
80.0 - 84.0 cm
31.5" - 33.1"
177.0 - 188.0 cm
5'9.7" - 6'2.0"
83.0 - 88.0 cm
32.7" - 34.6"
186.0 - 196.0 cm
6'1.2" - 6'5.2"
87.0 - 92.0 cm
34.3" - 36.2"
195.0 - 203.0 cm
6'4.8" - 6'7.9"
92.0 - 95.0 cm
36.2" - 37.4"
All measurements provided in cm unless otherwise noted.
|Frame size number||Frame size letter||Geometry position||Wheel size||A — Seat tube||B — Seat tube angle||Effective seat tube angle||C — Head tube length||D — Head angle||E — Effective top tube||F — Bottom bracket height||G — Bottom bracket drop||H — Chainstay length||I — Offset||J — Trail||K — Wheelbase||L — Standover||M — Frame reach||N — Frame stack|