It's right for you if...
You want an efficient, capable, short-travel trail bike that excels at endurance and stage racing and can handle rough trails and even XC races. You appreciate the performance advantage of carbon and want a superlight bike with race-level components and suspension.
The tech you get
A full OCLV Mountain Carbon frame, upgraded 120mm Fox Performance 34 Step-Cast Float fork with GRIP damper, 115mm of rear travel with a Fox Performance Float shock, and a 1x12 SRAM GX Eagle drivetrain with Truvativ Descendant 7k DUB cranks. Plus, wide carbon Bontrager Kovee Elite 30 wheels with a 54-tooth Rapid Drive hub for fast engagement, TwistLoc dual remote suspension lockout, Bontrager Line Elite Dropper, Bontrager Kovee Pro OCLV Carbon handlebars, and upgraded Shimano SLX hydraulic disc brakes.
The final word
Top Fuel 9.8 is an efficient, capable, and ridiculously fun short-travel carbon trail bike with the performance boost of upgraded parts like the drivetrain, fork, and brakes. It's built to rip technical terrain and descents, speed through flow sections, and withstand the beating endurance races dole out.
favorite_borderWhy you'll love it
- This bike wants to go fast—it's built with no-nonsense, high-performance parts
- You get a Straight Shot down tube for extra stiffness in the rough and Knock Block frame defense to protect against spinning bars and fork crowns
- TwistLoc simultaneously locks out front and rear shocks for climbs and sprints with the simple Grip Shift-like motion
- Wider Kovee Elite 30 wheels provide better tire support so you can run lower pressure and get more traction
- This short-travel trail bike gives you a suspension setup that’s capable in several MTB disciplines, and especially suited to endurance events
"Racing blood, trail spirit"
"It's devilishly quick, accelerates in a way that makes it seem like my legs actually produce real power. It's stable, planted, and it tracks like it's supposed to. Endurance athletes will be able to remain seated over more terrain, saving precious energy over the long haul, while XC pinners will hook up better on steep technical climbs."Read more
"Super light and fast as hell"
"The new Top Fuel might not be a pure XC-race bike anymore, but it's still precise and very fast. Its new trail orientation makes it a great choice for a rider who wants a fast and light bike with most of the the efficiency of a cross-country race bike, but with bit more versatility and playfulness."Read more
You might also like
Complete Tubeless System
Tubeless Ready rims and tires make it easy to ditch the tubes so you get better traction, fewer flats, and less weight. You're ready to roll right out of the box with the included TLR rim strips, valves, and sealant.
TwistLoc Dual Remote Lockout
TwistLoc simultaneously locks out front and rear shocks with a simple Grip Shift-like motion; and it leaves room for a dropper post lever.
Control Freak Cable Management
The lightest, quietest, most versatile cable management system allows any combination of shift, brake, lockout, and dropper post lines to be routed through the frame for clean looks and the ultimate custom setup.
- OCLV Mountain Carbon main frame & stays, tapered head tube, Knock Block, Control Freak internal routing, Carbon Armor, magnesium rocker link, Mino Link, ABP, Boost148, 115mm travel
- Fox Performance 34 Step-Cast, Float EVOL air spring, GRIP 2-position damper, TwistLoc remote, tapered steerer, 44mm offset, Boost110, 15mm Kabolt axle, 120mm travel
- Rear suspension
- Fox Performance Float, 2-position DPS damper, TwistLoc remote, tuned by Trek Suspension Lab, 190x45mm
- Bontrager Kovee Elite 30 carbon, Tubeless Ready, 6-bolt, Boost110 front, Boost148 rear
- Bontrager XR3 Team Issue, Tubeless Ready, Inner Strength sidewall, aramid bead, 120tpi, 29x2.40"
- SRAM GX Eagle, 12 speed
- Rear derailleur
- SRAM GX Eagle
- Truvativ Descendant 7k Eagle DUB, 32T alloy ring, Boost
- Bottom bracket
- SRAM DUB, 92mm, PressFit
- SRAM XG-1275 Eagle, 10-50, 12 speed
- SRAM GX Eagle, 12 speed
- Bontrager Montrose Elite, titanium rails
- Bontrager Line Elite Dropper, internal routing, 31.6mm
- Bontrager Line Pro, OCLV Carbon, 35mm, 15mm rise
- SRAM TwistLoc
- Bontrager Kovee Pro, 35mm, Knock Block, Blendr compatible, 13 degree
- Knock Block Integrated, sealed cartridge bearing, 1-1/8" top, 1.5" bottom
- Shimano SLX M7000 hydraulic disc, 180mm front rotor, 160mm rear rotor
- M - 11.84 kg / 26.11 lbs (with tubes)
- Weight limit
- This bike has a maximum total weight limit (combined weight of bicycle, rider, and cargo) of 300 pounds (136 kg).
Sizing & fit
The charts below show our recommended sizes based on height, but there are some other factors, like arm and leg length, that determine a great fit. That’s why you’ll see some overlap in our recommendations. Not every rider who’s 5´8˝, for example, will fit on the same size bike. The best way to find your perfect fit is to consult the experts at your local Trek retailer.
153.0 - 162.0 cm
5'0.2" - 5'3.8"
72.0 - 76.0 cm
28.3" - 29.9"
161.0 - 172.0 cm
5'3.4" - 5'7.7"
76.0 - 81.0 cm
29.9" - 31.9"
170.0 - 179.0 cm
5'6.9" - 5'10.5"
80.0 - 84.0 cm
31.5" - 33.1"
177.0 - 188.0 cm
5'9.7" - 6'2.0"
83.0 - 88.0 cm
32.7" - 34.6"
186.0 - 196.0 cm
6'1.2" - 6'5.2"
87.0 - 92.0 cm
34.3" - 36.2"
All measurements provided in cm unless otherwise noted.
|Frame size number||Frame size letter||Geometry position||A — Seat tube||B — Seat tube angle||Effective seat tube angle||C — Head tube length||D — Head angle||E — Effective top tube||F — Bottom bracket height||G — Bottom bracket drop||H — Chainstay length||I — Offset||J — Trail||K — Wheelbase||L — Standover||M — Frame reach||N — Frame stack|