It's right for you if...
You're cool with your wheels leaving the ground, but you also like to go the distance on marathon singletrack sessions and aim to clear every rock garden on the first try. You want exceptional trail bike performance with the same MTB frame and suspension tech found on higher-end trail bikes, at an exceptional price.
The tech you get
A lightweight Alpha Platinum Aluminium frame, a 140 mm FOX Rhythm 34 fork and 130 mm of rear travel with a FOX Performance Float shock with Trek's exclusive RE:aktiv damper – it's enough suspension to go big while staying fast on the flats and climbs. A SRAM GX Eagle 1x12 drive train with a wide-range 10-50 cassette, Tubeless Ready Bontrager Line Comp 30 wheels, Shimano Deore hydraulic disc brakes, and a Bontrager Line dropper post for on-the-fly saddle height adjustments.
The final word
It's a trail bike that is fully capable keeping up with whatever you throw at it. It has the same frame and suspension tech found on our top-of-the-line trail bikes, with a SRAM GX Eagle 1x12 drive train that delivers a huge range of gearing with the simplicity of a single shifter.
favorite_borderWhy you'll love it
- This bike is perfect for shredding singletrack, hitting drops and pushing your limits in multi-stage and marathon events
- If you measure quality in performance per pound, you won't do better than Fuel EX 8
- You sense its capability immediately, like when you're charging through sections of trail that you never thought you'd clean
- The shifter-style, underbar remote dropper post lever is super intuitive and easy to use
- We expanded our size range to ensure a better fit for all riders. And, you get the fastest wheel that fits your frame: XS frames get 27.5˝ wheels, S frames get to choose between 27.5˝ or 29˝ and sizes M to XL get 29˝ wheels
Will my bike have a curved top tube?
Smaller frames (XS and S) have a top tube that dips down as it approaches the seat tube. This design makes for a lower standover height, which is good for shorter riders because it allows them to straddle their bike more easily. Larger frames (M and up) have a straight top tube because taller riders with longer legs typically don’t have the same issues with standover height.
Alpha Platinum Aluminium
Our premium lightweight aluminium is continuously cold extruded and butted at multiple points, and hydroformed into sophisticated tube shapes for maximum strength and minimum weight.
Control Freak cable management
The lightest, quietest, most versatile cable management system allows any combination of shift, brake, lockout and dropper post lines to be routed through the frame for clean looks and the ultimate custom set-up.
Wider dropouts (110mm front, 148mm rear) give you the stiffness of a 27.5" wheel with all the benefits of a 29" wheel, and Boost148 at the back lets you run wider tyres and a larger chain ring without affecting q-factor and pedalling efficiency.
- Alpha Platinum Aluminium, tapered head tube, Knock Block, Control Freak internal routing, downtube guard, ISCG 05, magnesium rocker link, Mino Link, ABP, Boost148, 130 mm travel
- Fox Rhythm 34, Float EVOL air spring, GRIP damper, tapered steerer, 44 mm offset, Boost110, 15 mm Kabolt axle, 140 mm travel
- Rear suspension
- Fox Performance Float EVOL, RE:aktiv 3-position damper, tuned by Trek Suspension Lab, 210x55 mm
- Bontrager Line Comp 30, Tubeless Ready, 6-bolt, Boost110 front, Boost148 rear
- Bontrager XR4 Team Issue, Tubeless Ready, Inner Strength sidewalls, aramid bead, 120 tpi, 29x2.60"
- SRAM GX Eagle, 12-speed
- Rear derailleur
- SRAM GX Eagle
- Truvativ Descendant 6k Eagle, DUB, 30 T steel ring, Boost
- Bottom bracket
- SRAM DUB, 92 mm, PressFit
- SRAM XG-1275 Eagle, 10-50, 12-speed
- SRAM GX Eagle, 12-speed
- Bontrager Arvada, hollow chromoly rails
- Bontrager Line Dropper, 150 mm travel, internal routing, 31.6 mm
- Bontrager Line, alloy, 35 mm, 27.5 mm rise
- Bontrager XR Trail Elite, alloy lock-on
- Bontrager Line, 35 mm, Knock Block, 0-degree
- Head set
- Knock Block Integrated, cartridge bearing, 1-1/8" top, 1.5" bottom
- Brake set
- Shimano Deore M6000 hydraulic disc
- M - 14.55 kg / 32.07 lbs (with tubes)
- Weight limit
- This bike has a maximum total weight limit (combined weight of bicycle, rider and cargo) of 136 kg (300 lb).
Sizing & fit
Proper bike fit is essential for best performance and comfort. Any size and geometry measurements shown on trekbikes.com are for general comparison purposes only. To find your perfect fit, visit an authorised Trek retailer, where an expert skilled at sizing will help you find the appropriate bike and size for your individual needs.
137.0 - 155.0 cm
4'5.9" - 5'1.0"
64.0 - 73.0 cm
25.2" - 28.7"
153.0 - 162.0 cm
5'0.2" - 5'3.8"
72.0 - 76.0 cm
28.3" - 29.9"
161.0 - 172.0 cm
5'3.4" - 5'7.7"
76.0 - 81.0 cm
29.9" - 31.9"
170.0 - 179.0 cm
5'6.9" - 5'10.5"
80.0 - 84.0 cm
31.5" - 33.1"
177.0 - 188.0 cm
5'9.7" - 6'2.0"
83.0 - 88.0 cm
32.7" - 34.6"
186.0 - 196.0 cm
6'1.2" - 6'5.2"
87.0 - 92.0 cm
34.3" - 36.2"
195.0 - 203.0 cm
6'4.8" - 6'7.9"
92.0 - 95.0 cm
36.2" - 37.4"
All measurements provided in cm unless otherwise stated.
|Frame size number||Frame size letter||Geometry position||Wheel size||A — Seat tube||B — Seat tube angle||C — Head tube length||D — Head angle||E — Effective top tube||F — Bottom bracket height||G — Bottom bracket drop||H — Chainstay length||I — Offset||J — Trail||K — Wheelbase||L — Standover||M — Frame reach||N — Frame stack|