It's right for you if...
You measure the success of a ride in the number of beautiful views, and when you're not riding you're likely to be found planning your next escape. You hear the call of the open road, and want a stable touring bike that's just as capable of carrying a heavy load on multi-day trips as it is on everyday rides.
The tech you get
A road-smoothing chromoly steel frame, alloy disc touring fork with a ThruSkew captured quick release skewer, wide-range 27-speed drivetrain that's great for hauling a heavy load up hills, Shimano Sora brake/shift levers, Bontrager Tubeless Ready wheels, puncture-resistant tires with reflective sidewalls, included front and rear racks, and all-weather mechanical disc brakes.
The final word
520 is a comfortable steel workhorse that's capable of everything from daily rides to expedition tours. It's ready for adventure right out of the box, with an included front and rear rack and a drivetrain that's ideal for hauling a heavy load.
favorite_borderWhy you'll love it
- 520 is built to hold up, and it's super reliable over the long haul—you'll leave this bike to someone in your will
- ThruSkew ensures the front wheel will never drop out unintentionally, and makes it easier to remove your wheel without removing all of your front cargo
- There's no better way to see the world than from the saddle, and this is the bike that answers your wanderlust
- All-weather disc brakes and puncture-resistant tires give you the confidence to take on bigger adventures in any conditions
- It's the longest-running model in our lineup, and we've kept it around so long because it's one of the best-loved, too
You might also like
Low touring mounts
Touring-specific mounts stabilize loads for multi-day trips, with no additional hardware required.
Racks make commuting and hauling a practical reality, so it’s easier to go by bike.
Tubeless Ready rims
Bontrager TLR (Tubeless Ready) Road is the first fully integrated tubeless system for road wheels. When you go tubeless with TLR, you can run lower tire pressure for increased traction and comfort without the threat of pinch flats.
Tough Bontrager Hard-Case tires help keep flats from slowing you down.
Super-strong 36-hole rims give 520 a stout foundation for miles and miles of fully loaded riding.
Reliable Shimano shifting
Dura-Ace bar end shifters, ultra-durable Deore LX derailleurs, and a Shimano M543 Trekking crank add up to the highest-value touring combination available.
Rack & fender ready
Built-in mounts make it easy to add racks and fenders for added versatility.
Bombproof butted Platinum Series frame with a steel-smooth ride.
We've spent more than three decades perfecting the 520 geometry to suit the heavy loads and high miles of multi-day touring.
- Trek butted chromoly disc touring, rack & fender mounts
- Alloy disc touring fork w/lowrider mounts and Thru-skew captured skewer system
- Front hub
- Shimano M475
- Rear hub
- Shimano M475
- Bontrager Affinity, Tubeless Ready, 36h
- Bontrager H1 Hard-case Ultimate, 700x38c w/reflective sidewall
- Shimano Sora, 9 speed
- Front derailleur
- Shimano Sora, 34.9mm clamp-type
- Rear derailleur
- Shimano Alivio 9 speed, Shadow Design
- Shimano Alivio, 2-piece, 48X36X26T w/chain guard
- Shimano HG200, 11-36, 9 speed
- KMC X9
- Wellgo nylon body w/alloy cage, toe-clip/strap
- Bontrager Evoke 1.5
- Bontrager SSR, 2-bolt head, 27.2mm, 12mm offset
- Bontrager Comp VR-C, 31.8mm
- Bontrager tape
- Bontrager Elite, 31.8mm, 7 degree, w/computer & light mounts
- 1-1/8˝ threadless, sealed cartridge bearings
- TRP Spyre C 2.0 mechanical disc
- 57 - 14.26 kg / 31.44 lbs
- Weight limit
- This bike has a maximum total weight limit (combined weight of bicycle, rider, and cargo) of 275 pounds (125 kg).
Sizing & fit
The charts below show our recommended sizes based on height, but there are some other factors, like arm and leg length, that determine a great fit. That’s why you’ll see some overlap in our recommendations. Not every rider who’s 5´8˝, for example, will fit on the same size bike. The best way to find your perfect fit is to consult the experts at your local Trek retailer.
158.0 - 163.0 cm
5'2.2" - 5'4.2"
74.0 - 77.0 cm
29.1" - 30.3"
162.0 - 168.0 cm
5'3.8" - 5'6.1"
76.0 - 79.0 cm
29.9" - 31.1"
167.0 - 174.0 cm
5'5.7" - 5'8.5"
78.0 - 82.0 cm
30.7" - 32.3"
173.0 - 180.0 cm
5'8.1" - 5'10.9"
81.0 - 85.0 cm
31.9" - 33.5"
184.0 - 191.0 cm
6'0.4" - 6'3.2"
86.0 - 90.0 cm
33.9" - 35.4"
190.0 - 197.0 cm
6'2.8" - 6'5.6"
89.0 - 93.0 cm
35.0" - 36.6"
All measurements provided in cm unless otherwise noted.
|Frame size number||Wheel size||A — Seat tube||B — Seat tube angle||C — Head tube length||D — Head angle||E — Effective top tube||F — Bottom bracket height||G — Bottom bracket drop||H — Chainstay length||I — Offset||J — Trail||K — Wheelbase||L — Standover||M — Frame reach||N — Frame stack|