It's right for you if...
You're new to the trail and you’re looking for a real mountain bike that doubles as a commuter—and you want it all at an exceptional value.
The tech you get
A lightweight Alpha Silver Aluminum frame with internal routing to protect your cables and add to the bike's sleek look, 21 speeds, a wide range of gearing so you always have the right gear for your terrain, hydraulic disc brakes that feel smoother than mechanical disc brakes, and a suspension fork with 100mm of travel—that's the same amount favored by most cross country racers.
The final word
It’s built in Trek's MTB heritage, making it more than capable of taking on trail adventures. But it's also versatile, and Marlin 5 is a popular ride on college campuses because the rack and kickstand mounts make it easy to accessorize and haul a load.
favorite_borderWhy you'll love it
- It's a real mountain bike that's also perfectly suited to daily commutes, rides around campus, or just getting from A to B on any surface
- Smaller frame sizes (XS and S) have short-reach brake levers that make it easier and more comfortable for riders with smaller hands to brake confidently
- It has separate brake and shift levers (a feature that's common on more expensive mountain bikes) so you can fine-tune the positioning for comfort
- Rack and kickstand mounts make it easy to accessorize, so your mountain bike can double as a rugged commuter
- Like every model in the Marlin family, it's backed by Trek's lifetime warranty
You might also like
Internal cable routing
We route shift and brake cables through the frame to keep things clean and simple. And it looks great, too.
Going for a long ride? Rack mounts make carrying accessories a breeze.
Smart Wheel Size
The right wheel size paired with your frame size gives you the perfect combination of responsiveness and control.
Extended size range
A wider range of sizes than the industry standard provides more option for everyone, from tallest to shortest and all those in between. Because everyone deserves a great ride.
Advanced frame geometry and a custom offset fork give our 29ers precise handling at low speed without compromising high-speed stability. We call it G2 Geometry, and it's why our 29ers handle better than anyone's.
Alpha Silver Aluminum
Our proprietary lightweight aluminum is continuously cold extruded to a single wall thickness for durable performance.
- Alpha Silver Aluminum, internal routing, chainstay disc brake mount, rack and kickstand mount, 135x5mm QR
- SR Suntour XCE 28, coil spring, preload, G2 Geometry w/51mm offset on 29ers, 100mm travel (13.5: 80mm travel)
- Front hub
- Formula DC20 alloy
- Rear hub
- Formula DC27 alloy
- Bontrager Connection 32-hole double-walled
- Bontrager XR2, 29x2.20˝ front, 29x2.0˝ rear (13.5 & 15.5: 27.5x2.20˝)
- Shimano Altus M310, 7 speed
- Front derailleur
- Shimano Tourney TY300
- Rear derailleur
- Shimano Tourney TY300
- Shimano Tourney TY301, 42/34/24
- Bottom bracket
- Sealed cartridge, 73mm
- Shimano HG200, 12-32, 7 speed
- KMC Z51
- VP-536 nylon platform
- Bontrager Arvada
- Bontrager alloy, 2-bolt head, 31.6mm, 12mm offset
- Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, 5mm rise
- Bontrager XR Endurance Comp, lock-on
- Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, 7 degree, Blendr compatible
- 1-1/8˝ threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings
- Tektro HD-275 hydraulic disc (13.5 & 15.5: Tektro HD-276 short reach lever)
- M - 14.59 kg / 32.17 lbs (with tubes)
- Weight limit
- This bike has a maximum total weight limit (combined weight of bicycle, rider, and cargo) of 300 pounds (136 kg).
Sizing & fit
The charts below show our recommended sizes based on height, but there are some other factors, like arm and leg length, that determine a great fit. That’s why you’ll see some overlap in our recommendations. Not every rider who’s 5´8˝, for example, will fit on the same size bike. The best way to find your perfect fit is to consult the experts at your local Trek retailer.
137.0 - 155.0 cm
4'5.9" - 5'1.0"
64.0 - 73.0 cm
25.2" - 28.7"
153.0 - 162.0 cm
5'0.2" - 5'3.8"
72.0 - 76.0 cm
28.3" - 29.9"
161.0 - 172.0 cm
5'3.4" - 5'7.7"
76.0 - 81.0 cm
29.9" - 31.9"
170.0 - 179.0 cm
5'6.9" - 5'10.5"
80.0 - 84.0 cm
31.5" - 33.1"
177.0 - 188.0 cm
5'9.7" - 6'2.0"
83.0 - 88.0 cm
32.7" - 34.6"
186.0 - 196.0 cm
6'1.2" - 6'5.2"
87.0 - 92.0 cm
34.3" - 36.2"
195.0 - 203.0 cm
6'4.8" - 6'7.9"
92.0 - 95.0 cm
36.2" - 37.4"
All measurements provided in cm unless otherwise noted.
|Frame size number||Frame size letter||Wheel size||A — Seat tube||B — Seat tube angle||Effective seat tube angle||C — Head tube length||D — Head angle||E — Effective top tube||F — Bottom bracket height||G — Bottom bracket drop||H — Chainstay length||I — Offset||J — Trail||K — Wheelbase||L — Standover||M — Frame reach||N — Frame stack|