It's right for you if...
You’re looking for a bike that has all the upgrades necessary for a safe and stylish commute. The Townie® Commute 8D features our game-changing Flat Foot Technology®, cushy balloon tires and swept back handlebars for ultimate comfort and control. If you want to get around on two wheels more often, this bike is for you.
The tech you get
Complete with heavy-duty front and rear racks and LED lights, alloy fenders, and an ABUS ring lock, this ride is ready to roll. A Shimano Rapid Fire Plus shifter glides through 8 speeds while powerful front and rear linear-pull brakes give you all the stopping power you need. Top it off with a ringer bell and you're set.
The final word
What do you get when you combine the best-selling Townie® with additional features to take your commute to the next level? The sleek and stylish Townie® Commute. And you know it’ll be a comfy ride, because it wouldn’t be a Townie without our patented Flat Foot Technology®. So get on and ride. Don’t worry, your car will be just fine in the garage.
favorite_borderWhy you'll love it
- Large 700c, puncture-resistant Schwalbe balloon tires that roll fast and decrease vibration on uneven roads for a smooth commute.
- You can carry your gear with heavy-duty front and rear racks while the color-matched fenders make sure everything stays clean.
- Front and rear LED lights, an ABUS ring lock and a color-matched bell add safety, security and style.
Flat Foot Technology®
Flat Foot Technology® has been awarded not one, but two patents. Yeah, kind of a big deal. You really need to ride an Electra to feel it, but the overall benefit is comfort and control. It provides an upright, relaxed seating position with proper leg extension that allows you to plant your feet flat on the ground whenever you want or need to.
Equipped, or "EQ" as we say at Electra, simply means your ride comes with some sweet added benefits. Color-matched fenders keep you clean and dry while front and rear LED lights help you see and be seen.
Alloy Linear-Pull Brakes
These easy-to-use, low-maintenance brakes stop by the force of friction powered by squeezing the brake lever and therefore the wheel's rim. Thanks, physics.
Ergonomic Saddle & Grips
In addition to the pedals, the saddle and grips are the only places you come in direct contact with your bike. Your comfort is our number one priority.
Derailleur Gear System
Derailleur or "D" refers to an external shifting mechanism. It consists of a chain, multiple precision sprockets and a derailleur to "derail" the chain from one sprocket to another. It allows for quick transitions and more gearing options. Just remember to pedal while shifting and you're good to go!
- 6061-T6 aluminum w/ patented Flat Foot Technology®
- High-tensile steel unicrown, straight/tapered leg
- Front hub
- Shimano Nexus Dynamo 32h
- Rear hub
- Alloy low-flange 32h
- Alloy 700c x 32h w/machined sidewall
- Schwalbe Fat Frank 700cx2.0" w/reflective stripe w/puncture-resistant Kevlar® guard casing
- Shimano Acera Rapid Fire Plus
- Rear derailleur
- Shimano Tourney 8-speed
- Forged alloy 170 mm w/steel 44T chainring w/ double chainguards
- Bottom bracket
- Sealed cartridge 68 mm/118 mm
- SRAM 8-speed 11-32T
- KMC Z7 anit-rust
- Alloy platform w/non-slip rubber tread
- Ergonomic w/shock-absorbing elastomers
- Alloy 27.2 mm x 400 mm
- Electra custom bend alloy low-rise
- Ergo-shape hand-stitched leatherette
- Forged alloy 25.4 mm quill, 80 mm extension
- 1 1/8" steel threaded, semi-integrated
- Front/rear: cold-forged alloy linear-pull
- Front light
- Rear light
- Alloy kickstand, front/rear LED lighting, ABUS frame lock, stainless steel and anti-rust hardware, painted fenders, bell and heavy-duty front/rear racks
- 17.69 kg / 39 lbs