Sometimes you’ll ride for fun, sometimes you’ll ride for fitness, and sometimes you’ll ride just to get from A to B. No matter how you spend time in the saddle, e-bikes offer unique solutions to the challenges of any ride. These bikes are all about possibility.
On- or off-road, they’re perfect for those who want to climb faster, explore more or just get there a bit faster.
Only e-bikes offer the flexibility to get in a workout, ride with a faster friend, haul a heavy load or simply cruise. Even if your ride varies from day to day, an electric bicycle always gives you the option to do and experience more.
Trek electric bikes amplify your own pedal power. Our e-bikes are pedal-assist bikes, which means that there’s a motor that helps the pedals turn when you’re riding, but no throttle like a motorcycle or dirt bike. When you’re pedalling, the e-bike gives you a boost. When you stop pedalling, the bike stops assisting.
Here’s what you need to know about how Trek e-bikes work and the parts that make them unique.
The e-bike motor is located around the pedals in the bottom bracket area. Depending on the model, the motor has a power output between 250 and 350 watts and provides assist up to 32 kph. Trek partners exclusively with Bosch electronics.
Trek e-bikes run off lithium-ion batteries. They’re waterproof, durable and can be recharged on or off the bike at any household electrical outlet. How far it will get you depends on the level of assist, type of terrain you’re riding and your weight.
A handlebar-mounted controller lets you choose your level of assist, plus it tells you how fast you’re going and how much battery you have left. You’re in control of the whole experience without ever having to take your hands off the handlebar.
Integrated, user-friendly tech
Trek’s Removable Integrated Battery (RIB) is available on select models. This one-piece battery and cover takes the hassle out of removing your battery for transport, charging or storage. No tools needed!
Trek electric bikes use Bosch e-bike systems. Bosch motors, batteries and controllers are dependable and well-designed, and if there is ever a problem, Bosch provides outstanding customer support.
We’re your e-bike experts
Every Trek e-bike is the culmination of 40 years of product knowledge and development experience. We know what works, and that’s why we can confidently back every Trek e-bike with the best warranty programme in the industry. Got a problem? We’ll solve it.
1. Start slow It may be tempting to ramp your e-bike up to the fastest setting straight away, but we recommend taking it nice and easy and starting on the low power setting for your first few rides.
2. Brake sooner More power, more speed and a heavier frame mean that you’ll need to start slowing down sooner on your e-bike than you would on a normal bike.
3. Brake lightly and evenly Your e-bike comes with disc brakes, which means better braking in all conditions. When you’re getting used to your new bike and brakes, be sure to always brake with a light hand and a gradual, even pull of both brake levers.
4. Ride with extra care E-bikes look just like normal bikes, so people might not expect you to be riding as fast as your e-bike allows. This means that you should be extra careful and pay greater attention to your surroundings when you ride.
5. Follow the rules of the road Your new e-bike will bring you a new level of freedom and fun – but you’re still responsible for knowing and following all the rules of the road, paths and trails in your area.