It's right for you if...
You like going fast, getting rowdy, and clearing every obstacle on the first try. You want a single bike that can handle any trail, with high-quality parts, a carbon frame, and dialed suspension for everything from burly technical descents to single track and even XC races.
The tech you get
A light and stiff OCLV Mountain Carbon frame, Tubeless Ready Bontrager Line Carbon 30 wheels with a 54-tooth Rapid Drive rear hub for quick engagement, a 1x12 SRAM GX Eagle drivetrain, a 130mm FOX Performance 34 Float fork, and a FOX Performance Float shock featuring Trek's exclusive RE:aktiv with Thru Shaft. Plus, a Bontrager Line dropper post and a 35mm Bontrager Line Pro OCLV Carbon handlebar.
The final word
Fuel EX 9.8 is the definitive mountain bike, and a great choice if you're going to invest in a single bike for all kinds of terrain. A carbon frame, quality parts build, and advanced suspension make it an outstanding all-around mountain bike for every kind of trail.
favorite_borderWhy you'll love it
- It doesn't box itself into a category: Fuel EX brings trail bike plushness with an XC race bike feel for our most versatile mountain bike whip
- RE:aktiv with Thru Shaft works faster than a normal shock, so it tracks the ground better and keeps you in control
- It's great for riders who don't want to do just one kind of mountain biking, but want to explore everything from XC marathons to epic descents
- The SRAM GX Eagle drivetrain provides all the range you'll ever need in the simplicity of a 1x setup
Control Freak Cable Management
The lightest, quietest, most versatile cable management system allows any combination of shift, brake, lockout, and dropper post lines to be routed through the frame for clean looks and the ultimate custom setup.
Wider dropouts (110mm front, 148mm rear) give you the stiffness of a 27.5" wheel with all the benefits of a 29" wheel, and Boost148 in the rear lets you run wider tires and a larger chainring without affecting q-factor and pedaling efficiency.
Advanced frame geometry and a custom offset fork give our 29ers precise handling at low speed without compromising high-speed stability. We call it G2 Geometry, and it's why our 29ers handle better than anyone's.
- OCLV Mountain Carbon main frame & seatstay, alloy chainstay, ABP, Boost148, Knock Block steerer stop, Full Floater, EVO link, tapered head tube, Mino Link, Control Freak internal routing, Carbon Armor, PF92, ISCG 05, G2 Geometry, 130mm travel
- Fox Performance 34 Float, GRIP 3-position damper, tapered steerer, G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, Boost110, 130mm travel
- Rear suspension
- Fox Performance Float EVOL, RE:aktiv with Thru Shaft 3-position damper, tuned by Trek Suspension Lab, 210x52.5mm
- Bontrager Line Carbon 30, Tubeless Ready, 54T Rapid Drive, Boost110 front, Boost148 rear, tubeless strips included, valves sold separately
- Bontrager XR4 Team Issue, Tubeless Ready, Inner Strength sidewalls, 120tpi, aramid bead, 29x2.40˝
- SRAM GX Eagle, 12 speed
- Rear derailleur
- SRAM GX Eagle, Roller Bearing Clutch
- Truvativ Descendant 7k Eagle DUB, 32T Direct Mount
- Bottom bracket
- SRAM DUB Press Fit, 92mm
- SRAM XG-1275 Eagle, 10-50, 12 speed
- SRAM GX Eagle
- Not included
- Bontrager Arvada, austenite rails
- Bontrager Line, internal routing, 31.6mm, 15.5: 100mm, 17.5 & 18.5: 125mm, 19.5 & 21.5: 150mm
- Bontrager Line Pro, OCLV Carbon, 35mm, 15mm rise, 750mm width
- Bontrager XR Trail Elite, alloy lock-on
- Bontrager Line Pro, Knock Block, 35mm clamp, 0 degree
- Head set
- Knock Block Integrated, sealed cartridge bearing, 1-1/8˝ top, 1.5˝ bottom
- Brake set
- Shimano SLX M7000 hydraulic disc
- M - 12.70 kg / 28 lbs (with tubes)
- Weight limit
- This bike has a maximum total weight limit (combined weight of bicycle, rider, and cargo) of 300 pounds (136 kg).
Sizing & fit
Proper bike fit is essential for best performance and comfort. Any size and geometry measurements shown on trekbikes.com are for general comparison purposes only. To find your perfect fit, visit an authorized Trek retailer, where an expert skilled at sizing will help you find the appropriate bike and size for your individual needs.
153.0 - 162.0 cm
5'0.2" - 5'3.8"
72.0 - 76.0 cm
28.3" - 29.9"
161.0 - 172.0 cm
5'3.4" - 5'7.7"
76.0 - 81.0 cm
29.9" - 31.9"
170.0 - 179.0 cm
5'6.9" - 5'10.5"
80.0 - 84.0 cm
31.5" - 33.1"
177.0 - 188.0 cm
5'9.7" - 6'2.0"
83.0 - 88.0 cm
32.7" - 34.6"
186.0 - 196.0 cm
6'1.2" - 6'5.2"
87.0 - 92.0 cm
34.3" - 36.2"
All measurements provided in cm unless otherwise stated.
|Frame size number||Geometry position||Wheel size||A — Seat tube||B — Seat tube angle||Effective seat tube angle||C — Head tube length||D — Head angle||E — Effective top tube||F — Bottom bracket height||G — Bottom bracket drop||H — Chainstay length||I — Offset||J — Trail||K — Wheelbase||L — Standover||M — Frame reach||N — Frame stack|