It's right for you if...
You like going fast, getting rowdy and clearing every obstacle on the first try. You want a single bike that can handle any trail, with high-quality parts, a carbon frame, and dialled suspension for everything from burly technical descents to single-track and even XC races.
The tech you get
A light and stiff OCLV Mountain Carbon frame, Tubeless Ready Bontrager Line Elite 30 wheels with a 108-tooth Rapid Drive rear hub for instant engagement, a 1x12 SRAM GX Eagle drivetrain, SRAM Guide RS hydraulic disc brakes, a 130 mm FOX Performance 34 Float fork and a FOX Performance Float shock featuring Trek's exclusive RE:aktiv damper. Plus, a Bontrager Drop Line dropper post and a 35 mm Bontrager Line Pro OCLV Carbon handlebar.
The final word
The Fuel EX 9.8 is the definitive mountain bike, and a great choice if you're going to invest in a single bike for all kinds of terrain. A carbon frame, quality parts build and advanced suspension make it an outstanding all-around mountain bike for every kind of trail.
favorite_borderWhy you'll love it
- It doesn't box itself into a category: The Fuel EX brings trail bike plushness with an XC race bike feel for our most versatile mountain bike whip
- It's great for riders who don't want to do just one kind of mountain biking, but want to explore everything from XC marathons to epic descents
- The SRAM GX Eagle drivetrain provides all the range you'll ever need in the simplicity of a 1x set-up
- Make it yours: it's customisable through Project One
Control Freak cable management
The lightest, quietest, most versatile cable management system allows any combination of shift, brake, lockout and dropper post lines to be routed through the frame for clean looks and the ultimate custom set-up.
Wider dropouts (110mm front, 148mm rear) give you the stiffness of a 27.5" wheel with all the benefits of a 29" wheel, and Boost148 at the back lets you run wider tyres and a larger chain ring without affecting q-factor and pedalling efficiency.
Advanced frame geometry and a custom offset fork give our 29ers precise handling at low speed without compromising high-speed stability. We call it G2 Geometry, and it's why our 29ers handle better than anyone else's.
- OCLV Mountain Carbon main frame and seatstay, alloy chainstay, ABP, Boost148, Knock Block steerer stop, Full Floater, EVO link, E2 tapered head tube, Mino Link, Control Freak internal routing, Carbon Armour, PF92, ISCG 05, G2 Geometry, 130 mm travel
- Front suspension
- Fox Performance 34 Float, GRIP 3-position damper, E2 tapered steerer, G2 Geometry w/51 mm offset, Boost110, 130 mm travel
- Rear suspension
- Fox Performance Float EVOL, RE:aktiv 3-position damper, tuned by Trek Suspension Lab, 210x52.5 mm
- Bontrager Line Elite 30, Tubeless Ready, 108T Rapid Drive, Boost110 front, Boost148 rear, tubeless strips included, valves sold separately
- Bontrager XR4 Team Issue, Tubeless Ready, Inner Strength sidewalls, 120tpi, aramid bead, 29x2.40˝
- SRAM GX Eagle, 12-speed
- Rear derailleur
- SRAM GX Eagle, Roller Bearing Clutch
- SRAM Descendant 7k Eagle, 32T Direct Mount X-Sync
- Bottom bracket
- SRAM XG-1275, 10-50, 12-speed
- SRAM GX Eagle
- Not included
- Bontrager Evoke 3, titanium rails
- Bontrager Drop Line, internal routing, 31.6 mm (15.5: 100 mm/17.5 & 18.5: 125 mm/19.5 & 21.5: 150 mm)
- Bontrager Line Pro, OCLV Carbon, 35 mm, 15 mm rise, 750 mm width
- Bontrager Race Lite, lock-on
- Bontrager Line Pro, Knock Block, 35 mm clamp, 0-degree, 60 mm length
- Head set
- Knock Block Integrated, sealed cartridge bearing, 1-1/8˝ top, 1.5˝ bottom
- Brake set
- SRAM Guide RS hydraulic disc
- 17.5" - 12.87 kg / 28.37 lbs (with tubes)
- Weight limit
- This bike has a maximum total weight limit (combined weight of bicycle, rider and cargo) of 136 kg (300 lb).
Sizing & fit
Proper bike fit is essential for best performance and comfort. Any size and geometry measurements shown on trekbikes.com are for general comparison purposes only. To find your perfect fit, visit an authorised Trek retailer, where an expert skilled at sizing will help you find the appropriate bike and size for your individual needs.
153.0 - 162.0 cm
5'0.2" - 5'3.8"
72.0 - 76.0 cm
28.3" - 29.9"
161.0 - 172.0 cm
5'3.4" - 5'7.7"
76.0 - 81.0 cm
29.9" - 31.9"
170.0 - 179.0 cm
5'6.9" - 5'10.5"
80.0 - 84.0 cm
31.5" - 33.1"
177.0 - 188.0 cm
5'9.7" - 6'2.0"
83.0 - 88.0 cm
32.7" - 34.6"
186.0 - 196.0 cm
6'1.2" - 6'5.2"
87.0 - 92.0 cm
34.3" - 36.2"
All measurements provided in cm unless otherwise stated.
|Frame size number||Geometry position||A — Seat tube||B — Seat tube angle||Effective seat tube angle||C — Head tube length||D — Head angle||E — Effective top tube||F — Bottom bracket height||G — Bottom bracket drop||H — Chainstay length||I — Offset||J — Trail||K — Wheelbase||L — Standover||M — Frame reach||N — Frame stack||Frame rise|