Diamant has been manufacturing elegant city bicycles in Germany since the late 19th century, when a pair of craft-minded brothers, Friedrich and Wilhelm Nevoigt, who produced sinkers for knitting-machines, turned their attention to two-wheeled transportation. The first model, the Diamond, left the factory in 1895, and the years that followed saw the Nevoigt brothers experiment with new designs in their quest to innovate and make cycling more accessible to the masses. In 1898, recognizing the inferiority of the widely accepted block-type chain, the Nevoigt brothers invented a new kind of “double-roller” chain that set a new global standard. Today, the “double-roller” remains the basis of design for all modern bicycle chains. Throughout the early 20th century, as bicycle racing became increasingly popular, Diamant established itself as the definitive leader in the sport. In 1921, Team Diamant triumphed in major cycling races throughout Europe, and team rider Adolf Huschke earned top honors at the German National Road Race. In 1936, Diamant released the Model 67, a race bike with a lightweight frame that earned gold medals for Germany in the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games. In its rich 120-year history, Diamant has made momentous contributions to the industry, including the development of the first women’s-specific bike (1924), the creation of a bike designed to make deliveries (1934), and the invention of the comfort-style handlebar. Today, Diamant’s legacy of innovation carries on as the company, which was acquired by Trek in 2002, continues to develop new technologies to make city riding more accessible to cyclists throughout Europe.