It's right for you if...
You're new to the trail and you’re looking for a real mountain bike that doubles as a commuter – and you want it all at an exceptional value.
The tech you get
A lightweight Alpha Silver Aluminium frame with internal shift cable and brake hose routing to protect your cables and add to the bike's sleek look, 21 speeds, a wide range of gearing so you always have the right gear for your terrain, hydraulic disc brakes that feel smoother than mechanical disc brakes and a suspension fork with 100 mm of travel – that's the same amount favoured by most cross-country racers.
The final word
It’s built in Trek's MTB heritage, making it more than capable of taking on trail adventures. But it's also versatile, and Marlin 5 is a popular ride on college campuses because the rack and kickstand mounts make it easy to accessorise and haul a load.
favorite_borderWhy you'll love it
- It's a real mountain bike that's also perfectly suited to daily commutes, rides around campus or just getting from A to B on any surface
- Smaller frame sizes (XS and S) have short-reach brake levers that make it easier and more comfortable for riders with smaller hands to brake confidently
- It has separate brake and gear levers (a feature that's common on more expensive mountain bikes) so you can fine-tune the positioning for comfort
- Rack and kickstand mounts make it easy to accessorise, so your mountain bike can double as a rugged commuter
- Like every Trek, it's backed by a lifetime warranty
Fit for every rider
Marlin comes in seven frame sizes to suit riders of any height, and Smart Wheel Size ensures you’re on the fastest wheel that fits. The smallest sizes even come with short-reach brake levers and narrower handlebars that give smaller riders better comfort and control.
High tech, high value
Marlin looks and feels great. It’s packed with features usually found only on more expensive bikes, like a stylish frame with internal shift cable and brake hose routing, which can help your cables last longer by protecting them from the elements.
Going for a long ride? Rack mounts make carrying accessories a breeze.
Rear kickstand mount
Chainstay mounts make it easy to install a rear kickstand that stays out of your way and supports bikes of all sizes. No more laying or leaning.
- Alpha Silver Aluminium, internal routing, chainstay disc-brake mount, rack and kickstand mount, 135x5 mm QR
- SR Suntour XCE 28, coil spring, preload, G2 Geometry w/51 mm offset on 29ers, 100 mm travel (13.5: 80 mm travel)
- Max compatible fork travel
- Front hub
- Formula DC20 alloy
- Rear hub
- Formula DC27 alloy
- Bontrager Connection 32-hole double-walled
- Bontrager XR2, 29x2.20˝ front, 29x2.0˝ rear (13.5 & 15.5: 27.5x2.20˝)
- Max tyre size
- 29x2.20" (XS & S: 27.5x2.4")
- Shimano Altus M310, 7-speed
- Front derailleur
- Shimano Tourney TY300
- Rear derailleur
- Shimano Tourney TY300
- Shimano Tourney TY301, 42/34/24
- Max. chainring size
- 1x: 32T, 3x: 42T
- Bottom bracket
- Sealed cartridge, 73 mm
- Shimano HG200, 12-32, 7--speed
- KMC Z51
- VP-536 nylon platform
- Bontrager Arvada
- Bontrager alloy, 2-bolt head, 31.6 mm, 12 mm offset
- Bontrager alloy, 31.8 mm, 5 mm rise, 720 mm width (13.5: 690 mm width)
- Bontrager XR Endurance Comp
- Bontrager alloy, 31.8 mm, 7-degree, Blendr compatible
- Head set
- 1-1/8˝ threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings
- Brake set
- Tektro HD-275 hydraulic disc (13.5 & 15.5: Tektro HD-276 short reach lever)
- M - 14.59 kg / 32.17 lbs (with tubes)
- Weight limit
- This bike has a maximum total weight limit (combined weight of bicycle, rider and cargo) of 136 kg (300 lb).
Sizing & fit
Proper bike fit is essential for best performance and comfort. Any size and geometry measurements shown on trekbikes.com are for general comparison purposes only. To find your perfect fit, visit an authorised Trek retailer, where an expert skilled at sizing will help you find the appropriate bike and size for your individual needs.
137.0 - 155.0 cm
4'5.9" - 5'1.0"
64.0 - 73.0 cm
25.2" - 28.7"
153.0 - 166.5 cm
5'0.2" - 5'5.6"
72.0 - 79.0 cm
28.3" - 31.1"
161.0 - 172.0 cm
5'3.4" - 5'7.7"
76.0 - 81.0 cm
29.9" - 31.9"
165.5 - 179.0 cm
5'5.2" - 5'10.5"
77.0 - 84.0 cm
30.3" - 33.1"
177.0 - 188.0 cm
5'9.7" - 6'2.0"
83.0 - 88.0 cm
32.7" - 34.6"
186.0 - 196.0 cm
6'1.2" - 6'5.2"
87.0 - 92.0 cm
34.3" - 36.2"
195.0 - 203.0 cm
6'4.8" - 6'7.9"
92.0 - 95.0 cm
36.2" - 37.4"
All measurements provided in cm unless otherwise stated.
|Frame size number||Frame size letter||Wheel size||A — Seat tube||B — Seat tube angle||Effective seat tube angle||C — Head tube length||D — Head angle||E — Effective top tube||F — Bottom bracket height||G — Bottom bracket drop||H — Chainstay length||I — Offset||J — Trail||K — Wheelbase||L — Standover||M — Frame reach||N — Frame stack|