It's right for you if...
You're cool with your wheels leaving the ground, but you also like to go the distance on marathon singletrack sessions and aim to clear every rock garden on the first try. You want exceptional trail bike performance, with the same MTB frame and suspension tech found on higher-end trail bikes, at an exceptional value.
The tech you get
A lightweight Alpha Platinum Aluminum frame, a 140mm FOX Rhythm 34 fork and 130mm of rear travel with a FOX Performance Float shock with Trek's exclusive RE:aktiv damper—it's enough suspension to go big while staying fast on the flats and climbs. A SRAM GX Eagle 1x12 drivetrain with a wide-range 10-50 cassette, Tubeless Ready Bontrager Line Comp 30 wheels, Shimano Deore hydraulic disc brakes, and a Bontrager Line dropper post for on-the-fly saddle height adjustments.
The final word
It's a trail bike that is fully capable keeping up with whatever you throw at it. It has the same frame and suspension tech found on our top-of-the-line trail bikes, with a SRAM GX Eagle 1x12 drivetrain that delivers a huge range of gearing with the simplicity of a single shifter.
favorite_borderWhy you'll love it
- This bike is perfect for shredding singletrack, hitting drops, and pushing your limits in multi-stage and marathon events
- If you measure quality in performance per dollar, you won't do better than Fuel EX 8
- You sense its capability immediately, like when you're charging through sections of trail you never thought you'd clean
- The shifter-style, underbar remote dropper post lever is super intuitive and easy to use
- We expanded our size range to ensure a better fit for all riders. And, you get the fastest wheel that fits your frame: XS frames get 27.5˝ wheels, S frames get to choose between 27.5˝ or 29˝, and sizes M to XL get 29˝ wheels
"A world-class trail bike"
"Fuel EX is a beautifully balanced and capable trail bike. The rear suspension is beautiful; as close to ideal as any bike I've ridden. It's sensitive where you want it to be, firm and crisp where it should be. It feels deep and controls big hits very well, and there's a nice platform for pedaling, and to pump and pop off when you're playing."Read more
You might also like
Will my bike have a curved top tube?
Smaller frames (XS and S) have a top tube that dips down as it approaches the seat tube. This design makes for a lower standover height, which is good for shorter riders because it allows them to straddle their bike more easily. Larger frames (M and up) have a straight top tube because taller riders with longer legs typically don’t have the same issues with standover height.
Tubeless Ready rims and tires make it easy to ditch the tubes so you get better traction, fewer flats, and less weight. The rim strips are already installed; just add TLR valves and sealant.
Alpha Platinum Aluminum
Our premium lightweight aluminum is continuously cold extruded and butted at multiple points, and hydroformed into sophisticated tube shapes for maximum strength and minimum weight.
Control Freak Cable Management
The lightest, quietest, most versatile cable management system allows any combination of shift, brake, lockout, and dropper post lines to be routed through the frame for clean looks and the ultimate custom setup.
Wider dropouts (110mm front, 148mm rear) give you the stiffness of a 27.5" wheel with all the benefits of a 29" wheel, and Boost148 in the rear lets you run wider tires and a larger chainring without affecting q-factor and pedaling efficiency.
- Alpha Platinum Aluminum, tapered head tube, Knock Block, Control Freak internal routing, downtube guard, ISCG 05, magnesium rocker link, Mino Link, ABP, Boost148, 130mm travel
- Fox Rhythm 34, Float EVOL air spring, GRIP damper, tapered steerer, 44mm offset, Boost110, 15mm Kabolt axle, 140mm travel
- Rear suspension
- Fox Performance Float EVOL, RE:aktiv 3-position damper, tuned by Trek Suspension Lab, 210x55mm
- Bontrager Line Comp 30, Tubeless Ready, 6-bolt, Boost110 front, Boost148 rear
- Bontrager XR4 Team Issue, Tubeless Ready, Inner Strength sidewalls, aramid bead, 120 tpi, 29x2.60" (smaller sizes: 27.5x2.60")
- SRAM GX Eagle, 12 speed
- Rear derailleur
- SRAM GX Eagle
- Truvativ Descendant 6k Eagle, DUB, 30T steel ring, Boost
- Bottom bracket
- SRAM DUB, 92mm, PressFit
- SRAM XG-1275 Eagle, 10-50, 12 speed
- SRAM GX Eagle, 12 speed
- Bontrager Arvada, hollow chromoly rails
- Bontrager Line Dropper, internal routing, 31.6mm
- Bontrager Line, alloy, 35mm, 27.5mm rise
- Bontrager XR Trail Elite, alloy lock-on
- Bontrager Line, 35mm, Knock Block, 0 degree
- Knock Block Integrated, cartridge bearing, 1-1/8" top, 1.5" bottom
- Shimano Deore M6000 hydraulic disc
- M - 14.55 kg / 32.07 lbs (with tubes)
- Weight limit
- This bike has a maximum total weight limit (combined weight of bicycle, rider, and cargo) of 300 pounds (136 kg).
Sizing & fit
The charts below show our recommended sizes based on height, but there are some other factors, like arm and leg length, that determine a great fit. That’s why you’ll see some overlap in our recommendations. Not every rider who’s 5´8˝, for example, will fit on the same size bike. The best way to find your perfect fit is to consult the experts at your local Trek retailer.
137.0 - 155.0 cm
4'5.9" - 5'1.0"
64.0 - 73.0 cm
25.2" - 28.7"
153.0 - 162.0 cm
5'0.2" - 5'3.8"
72.0 - 76.0 cm
28.3" - 29.9"
161.0 - 172.0 cm
5'3.4" - 5'7.7"
76.0 - 81.0 cm
29.9" - 31.9"
170.0 - 179.0 cm
5'6.9" - 5'10.5"
80.0 - 84.0 cm
31.5" - 33.1"
177.0 - 188.0 cm
5'9.7" - 6'2.0"
83.0 - 88.0 cm
32.7" - 34.6"
186.0 - 196.0 cm
6'1.2" - 6'5.2"
87.0 - 92.0 cm
34.3" - 36.2"
195.0 - 203.0 cm
6'4.8" - 6'7.9"
92.0 - 95.0 cm
36.2" - 37.4"
All measurements provided in cm unless otherwise noted.
|Frame size number||Frame size letter||Geometry position||Wheel size||A — Seat tube||B — Seat tube angle||C — Head tube length||D — Head angle||E — Effective top tube||F — Bottom bracket height||G — Bottom bracket drop||H — Chainstay length||I — Offset||J — Trail||K — Wheelbase||L — Standover||M — Frame reach||N — Frame stack|